There’s a definite nip in the air these days, and I’m getting the feeling that the allotment is slowing down after the summer. I did manage to harvest quite a lot of flowers during the week, but it was noticeable today that they hadn’t rebloomed quite as much as they’ve been doing. I even managed to put all the flowers – coreopsis, dahlias, cosmos and leuchanthemums into one bunch rather than several.
However, the autumn raspberries are doing well and I shall put those into tomorrow’s crumble. K and I have sampled one or two, and they definitely have more taste to them than they did last week so that’s good. We also harvested two pea pods (!) and a beetroot.
I don’t think we’re going to bother with potatoes again on the allotment – blight has been a nightmare; the only ones that work are the blight-free tasteless ones, and they’re no fun to eat. We might try potatoes at home again next year though. On the other hand, we’ll have a go at carrots again if we can battle off the dreaded carrot fly, and will do more peas, and also the beetroot.
Oh, and great fun at home with the raspberries, as whilst washing them I got rid of two beetles, three earwigs and released two ladybirds back into the wild. There’s a whole ecosystem in there!